Best String Trimmer-The 10 Best Choices and our Top Pick
What Is a String Trimmer?
A string trim, also called a weed-whacker, whipper-snipper, weed eater or line trimmer is a tool which utilitizes a flexible line instead of a blade for cutting grass and other organic plant objects. String trimmers work well on a steep or irregular terrain where lawn mowers have a tough time getting to. A string trimmer has a cutting tip at the end of a long shaft with a handle. With so many options, which is the best string trimmer?
Best String Trimmers of 2018
In the chart below, you will find our 10 best string trimmers. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on "Read Review."
Best Partner Cordless String Trimmer
3.5 out of 5
BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V MAX Lithium Ion String Trimmer, 13"
4.2 out of 5
DEWALT DCST920B 20V Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer
4.1 out of 5
EGO Power+ 15-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless String Trimmer
4.5 out of 5
3.8 out of 5
Hitachi CG23ECPSL 22.5cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Solid Steel Drive Shaft String Trimmer
4.1 out of 5
Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer
4.4 out of 5
Makita XRU04Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer
4.0 out of 5
Weed Eater WE20VT 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Powered String Trimmer and Edger
4.1 out of 5
WORX 20-Volt GT 2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Hea
4.1 out of 5
Top 10 Best String Trimmers of 2018
- BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V MAX Lithium Ion String Trimmer, 13"
- GreenWorks 21212 4Amp 13-Inch Corded String Trimmer
- WORX 20-Volt GT 2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Hea
- Makita XRU04Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer
- DEWALT DCST920B 20V Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer
- Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer
- EGO Power+ 15-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless String Trimmer
- Hitachi CG23ECPSL 22.5cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Solid Steel Drive Shaft String Trimmer
- Best Partner Cordless String Trimmer
- Weed Eater WE20VT 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Powered String Trimmer and Edger
How to Choose a String Trimmer
When choosing the best string trimmer it's best to first think about why you want it. Think about the job that you will be doing with it. That way you will know which type is best for you. Also, think about the amount you are willing to spend on one. But keep in mind that you may need to spend a bit more than planned to get a quality piece of equipment. You won't want to buy something not fit for your job, just to have to buy another string trimmer down the road.
String Trimmers 101
The biggest things to know about string trimmers are that they come in 3 different types. You can choose from gas, electric or battery operated. The gas powered is going to be your most powerful weapon for all lengths of plants. It is also nice in that you don't have a cord to contend with.
Things to Consider When Buying a String Trimmer
- What kind of Job Needs Done. When buying a string trimmer think about how often you will use this and how big of a job it will need to get done. Typically, gas powered string trimmers will be more powerful for taking down thick stemmed grasses. Gas powered trimmers have the advantage of you not having to drag the cord and and extension cord around. You also can go out away from an electrical outlet without having to have that lifeline connected like you would for an electric trimmer.
- Be Safe. Make sure that you have safety gear when purchasing a string trimmer. Safety gear should include gloves, long pants, safety glasses and boots. If you don't have the gear, then I'd suggest to buy the safety gear when you purchase the string trimmer.
- Price. You will see a wide range of prices with the string trimmers. Think about your budget but also remember that you may pay more in the long run if you don't get a good one to start with. A couple of years back, I bought an inexpensive string trimmer. Yes, it was cheap, but I've spent a lot buying string that constantly needed replace often several times in the middle of job. The amount of time it cost me and all of that extra string is more than if I just bought a better one to begin with. Next time, which is soon, I'll be spending more and getting a better string trimmer. So stay within your budget if you need to, but consider spending a bit more for better quality.
String trimmers can have so many different features, that it can get confusing. But take it easy because I've simplified your search for a string trimmer by listing the features here that you can pick from when choosing a trimmer.
- Wraparound Handle - A wraparound handle is going to enhance your comfort level when operating your string trimmer. It will also cut down on muscle fatigue. A wraparound handle helps you to maintain a comfortable position no matter the angle.
- Lock On - A lock-on feature will help you reduce fatigue by letting you to keep cutting without having to keep pressing the trigger. This is a great feature for long cutting sessions.
- Translucent Fuel Tanks - Gas powered string trimmers sometimes have tanks that let you see how much fuel is left in the tank. The feature allows you to closely monitor the fuel levels so that you are aware of what's left in the tank and don't run out of gas.
- Pigtail - A pigtail is a short length of cord that is made to connect to an extension cord cord. You can have one on the of your trimmer cord and one connected to the extension cord. This will help to minimize the chances of pulling the cord off while running your trimmer.
- Kits - Some trimmers come with optional kits that will allow you to convert the trimmer into a patio broom or other useful device.
- Extra Battery Packs - Extra battery packs can help you to get a job done without waiting for batteries to charge back up. This is especially useful when you are away from an electrical outlet.
Types of Trimmers
There are 3 main types of string trimmers. The different types are gas powered, electric or battery operated string trimmers.
- Gas Powered - These are the best choices for large areas or areas with tall grass and weeds. Most gas powered string trimmers weigh less than 13 pounds, although they are generally still heavier than electric trimmers. Gas powered string trimmers often have a centrifugal clutch that lets a gas trimmer idle without spinning. This is a safety feature. Electric models don't spin unless you press a switch.
- Electric Powered - Corded string trimmers are very popular because they are the least expensive of the 3 types. They are the best for small jobs. They are lighter in weight than gas powered and also quieter. Electric string trimmers with a mounted mower tend to be more stable.
- Battery Operated - Battery operated string trimmers are great in that they allow you to have free mobility without being tied down by an electric cord, while performing reasonably well in medium length grass. A tip if buying a cordless trimmer is to get one with a top-mounted motor because it will be better balanced and easier to handle than the kind with a motor near the cutting line.
Gas Powered String Trimmer
Electric Powered String Trimmer
Common Features of String Trimmers
String trimmers have the following features in common
Best String Trimmer:
After careful review of the top 10 string trimmers on the market, our top pick is the EGO Power +15-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless String Trimmer.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a String Trimmer
1. What type of job will I be doing with this string trimmer?
String Trimmers come with different weight ratings. Make sure you check that out before you purchase, especially if you are going to use it with two people.
2. Do I have price range?
If you have a price range for a string trimmer, then you might want to just look at the string trimmers within your range.
3. Do I want electric, gas or battery operated?
Think about which type of string trimmer that you may want. The gas will be the most powerful of the 3 types.
Why a String Trimmer Is Awesome
A string trimmer will help you to get into tough areas that a lawnmower will not be able to get to.
- Sweeper is ideal for clearing driveways, sidewalks, decks,...
- String trimmer features Automatic Feed Spool; no bumping...
- Lightweight design, low noise levels
- Performance to power through the toughest weeds, grass and...
- AUTOMATIC FEED SPOOL - AFS automatically feeds trimmer line...
- Adjustable height and pivoting handle positions
- Lawn & Patio
I hope that this guideline for buying a string trimmer helped you to think about which type would be best for you. Think about the job that you will be completing and then pick the string trimmer that will best help you complete you job. The gas powered is going to be the most powerful and you won't have to fuss with a cord, though the electric is less expensive.