What Is a String Trimmer?
A string trimmer which is also called a weed-wacker, whipper-snipper, weed eater, or line trimmer is a tool that utilizes a flexible line instead of a blade for cutting grass, weeds, lawn, and other organic plants. A string trimmer works well on steep or irregular terrain versus a lawn mower that is more difficult to handle. A string trimmer has a cutting tip head at the end of a long power shaft with a handle. With so many options available on the market today, we have narrowed the list down to our top ten string trimmer models.
Best String Trimmers of 2018
In the chart below, you will find our top ten string trimmer models. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on "Read Review."
Best Partner Cordless String Trimmer
3.5 out of 5
BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V MAX Lithium Ion String Trimmer, 13"
4.2 out of 5
DEWALT DCST920B 20V Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer
4.1 out of 5
EGO Power+ 15-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless String Trimmer
4.5 out of 5
3.8 out of 5
Hitachi CG23ECPSL 22.5cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Solid Steel Drive Shaft String Trimmer
4.1 out of 5
Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer
4.4 out of 5
Makita XRU04Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer
4.0 out of 5
Weed Eater WE20VT 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Powered String Trimmer and Edger
4.1 out of 5
WORX 20-Volt GT 2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Hea
4.1 out of 5
Top Ten Best String Trimmers of 2018
- BLACK+DECKER LST136W 40V MAX Lithium Ion String Trimmer, 13"
- GreenWorks 21212 4Amp 13-Inch Corded String Trimmer
- WORX 20-Volt GT 2.0 String Trimmer/Edger/Mini-Mower with Tilting Hea
- Makita XRU04Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer
- DEWALT DCST920B 20V Lithium Ion XR Brushless String Trimmer
- Husqvarna 128LD 17-Inch Straight Shaft Detachable String Trimmer
- EGO Power+ 15-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless String Trimmer
- Hitachi CG23ECPSL 22.5cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Solid Steel Drive Shaft String Trimmer
- Best Partner Cordless String Trimmer
- Weed Eater WE20VT 20-Volt Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery Powered String Trimmer and Edger
How to Choose a String Trimmer
When choosing the best string trimmer, it is a good idea to think about the reason you need one in the first place. Consider the jobs that your string trimmer will be used for. You can narrow down the choices to help figure out which model string trimmer is best for you. Additionally, think about the amount of money you are willing to spend on a string trimmer. Keep in mind that you may need to spend more money than you planned on originally to get a better quality tool for cutting and trimming a lawn, grassy areas, or weeds. While it may be tempting to buy a trimmer that is fairly inexpensive, it may not be appropriate for the job and you will find yourself turning around to purchase another model at the store after using it only a few times.
String Trimmers 101
String trimmer can be categorized into three different types. You can choose from gas, electric or battery operated string trimmers. Gas powered trimmers are the most powerful trimmers for all lengths of grass, weeds, lawns, and plants. Both gas powered and battery operated trimmers are cordless and eliminate the cord becoming tangled and the need to be constantly connected to an electric power source.
Things to Consider When Buying a String Trimmer
- What Kind of Job Needs to Be Done: When buying a string trimmer, consider how often the trimmer will be used and what size of jobs that you need the trimmer for. Typically, gas-powered string trimmers will be more powerful for trimming down thick stemmed grasses and tough weeds. Gas powered and battery operated trimmers have the advantage of being cordless so you do not have to drag an extension cord around your property. You will not need to be near an electrical outlet like you do with an electric trimmer. However, an electric trimmer is light, easier to maneuver, and less expensive.
- Safety: Make sure that you have safety gear when purchasing a string trimmer. Safety gear should include gloves, long pants, safety glasses, and boots, and earplugs. If you don't have safety gear, then I would suggest buying the gear before using your new tool.
- Price: You will see a wide range of varying prices when comparing string trimmers. Consider your budget but remember that you may pay more in the long run if you don't get a good one to start with. Several years ago, I bought an inexpensive string trimmer. Yes, it was inexpensive initially, but the amount of time I spent a lot buying trimmer lines that constantly needed replacing, often several times in the middle of a job, was more expensive than it would have been if I would have bought a more expensive trimmer to begin with. Next time I will spend a little more money to get a better quality string trimmer. Stay within your budget, but consider spending a bit more for a better quality trimmer. Remember, you get what kind of tools you pay for.
String trimmers have so many different features that it can get confusing when it is time to purchase your own. I have simplified your search for a string trimmer by listing the features below that will help you when you choose your own.
- Wraparound Handle: A wraparound handle enhances your comfort level when operating your string trimmer. It will also cut down on muscle fatigue. A wraparound handle helps you to maintain a comfortable position when trimming no matter the angle.
- Lock On: A lock on feature will help reduce hand fatigue by letting you keep cutting and trimming without having to constantly press the trigger. This is a great feature when trimming grass and weeds for long periods of time.
- Translucent Fuel Tanks: Some gas-powered string trimmer models come equipped with tanks that allow you to see how much fuel is left in the tank. This feature allows you to closely monitor the fuel levels so that you do not run out of gas in the middle of a job.
- Pigtail: A pigtail is a short length of cord that is made to connect to an extension cord. A pigtail is placed on one end of the trimmer cord and the other end is connected to the extension cord. This will help to minimize the chances of pulling the cord off while running your trimmer.
- Kits: Some trimmers come with optional kits that will allow you to convert the trimmer into a patio broom or other useful tool device.
- Extra Battery Packs: Extra battery packs can help you to get a job done without waiting for a lithium-ion battery to recharge. This is especially useful if you are away from an electrical outlet.
Types of Trimmers
There are three main types of string trimmers. The different types are gas powered, electric, or battery operated string trimmers.
- Gas Powered: Gas powered trimmers are the best choices for large areas or areas with tall grass and weeds because they generate the most power. Most gas powered string trimmers weigh less than thirteen pounds, although they are generally heavier than electric trimmers. Gas powered string trimmers often have a centrifugal clutch that lets a gas trimmer idle without spinning which is a nice safety feature.
- Electric Powered: Corded string trimmers are the most popular model because they are the least expensive of the three types of trimmers. They are the best type for small, light jobs. They are lighter in weight than gas or lithium-ion battery trimmers and also quieter to run. Electric string trimmers with a mounted mower head tend to be more stable. Electric models don't spin unless you press a switch.
- Battery Operated: Lithium-ion battery operated string trimmers are a nice option because they allow you to have free mobility without being connected to an electric cord and perform reasonably well in medium length grass and weeds. A tip if buying a cordless trimmer is to get one with a top-mounted motorhead because it will be better balanced and easier to handle than the kind of model with a motor near the cutting line.
Gas Powered String Trimmer
Battery Powered String Trimmer
Electric Powered String Trimmer
Common Features of String Trimmers
String trimmers have the following features in common:
Best String Trimmer:
After a careful review of the top ten string trimmers on the market, our top pick is the EGO Power +15-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless String Trimmer.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a String Trimmer
1. What type of job will I be doing with my string trimmer?
String trimmers come with different weight ratings. Make sure you check out the weight ratings before you purchase your trimmer, especially if several people will be using the same trimmer.
2. Do I have specific price range?
If you have a specific price range for a string trimmer, then you will only want to consider the string trimmers within your range.
3. Do I want an electric, gas, or battery operated trimmer?
Think about which type of string trimmer that you wish to purchase. Consider the different characteristics of each type and the pros and cons of each before you purchase your own.
Why a String Trimmer Is Awesome
A string trimmer will help you to get to steeper, smaller areas that are not accessible when using a lawnmower.
- Automatic Feed Spool (AFS) technology of the edger/trimmer eliminates bumping for hassle-free line feeding that helps you work without interruptions
- The 6.5 amp motor and POWERDRIVE Transmission of the grass cutter provide maximum performance when trimming through the toughest weeds, grass, and overgrowth
- 2-in-1 trimmer/edger with wheeled edge guide - just rotate to convert from lawn trimmer to wheeled edger
- POWERLOAD technology; load your line, push a button and go
- Get up to 45 minutes of run time on a single charge with the included 56V 2.5Ah ARC Lithium Battery
- Telescopic Aluminum Shaft quickly fits your height for ultimate comfort
- Converts from trimmer to wheeled edger; Amp hour: (2) 1.5 ampere hour
- Power drive transmission for increased torque
- 2 speed control for more power or extended runtime. Line diameter: 0.065 inches; Cutting swath 12 inches
I hope that this guideline for buying a string trimmer has helped you as you consider which type of trimmer will be the best one for you and your outdoor gardening needs. Think about the jobs that you will be completing and then pick and purchase the string trimmer that will best help you complete those jobs. Consider your desired price range and the pros and cons of each type of trimmer. Best of luck as you decide between a gas, battery powered, or an electric trimmer.
More Product Reviews:
Last update on 2023-09-18 at 12:56 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API