Best Garden Hose Reel: Top 10 Reviewed and Our Pick
Best Garden Hose Reel Reviews
In this review, I've compared 10 different garden hose reels in detail. These are our top 10 best garden hose reels. Make sure to click on the individual reviews, to read the details of each garden hose reel.
In the chart below, you will find our top 10 rated garden hose reels. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on the "Read Review" link.
Liberty Garden Products 704 Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
Suncast PW 100 Powerwind Automatic Rewind Garden Hose Reel
4.5 out of 5
Reelcraft Hose Reel
4.5 out of 5
Prosperly Garden Water Hose Reel Cart
4.5 out of 5
Eley / Rapid Reel Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
ikris Retractable Garden Water Hose Reel
4 out of 5
Strongway Parallel or Perpendicular Garden Hose Reel
4.5 out of 5
Suncast Hosemobile Pro Hose Reel Cart
4 out of 5
SunCast Crate 125-Foot Water Powered Retractable Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
Liberty Garden Products Multi-Purpose Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
Top 10 Garden Hose Reels of 2018
- Liberty Garden Products 704 Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
- Suncast PW 100 Powerwind Automatic Rewind Garden Hose Reel
- Reelcraft Hose Reel
- Eley / Rapid Reel Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
- Prosperly Garden Water Hose Reel Cart
- ikris Retractable Garden Water Hose Reel
- Strongway Parallel or Perpendicular Wall-Mount Garden Hose Reel
- Suncast Hosemobile Pro Hose Reel Cart
- SunCast Crate 125-Foot Water Powered Retractable Garden Hose Reel
- Liberty Garden Products Multi-Purpose Garden Hose Reel
Benefits of Using a Garden Hose Reel
If you've ever dragged a hose across your yard again and again, you know how time consuming and annoying that can be. And then there's the kinks in the hose that you have to deal with when you pull a hose around a corner or it gets caught on something. A garden hose reel can eliminate all of that stress.
- A garden hose reel can also add to the longevity of your hose. A reel can keep the hose stored up and under less stress than if it's sitting out in the sun and weather all season. By using the reel, you will avoid cracking, sun damage, kinks, and other issues that deteriorate your hose before it's time.
- A garden hose reel can also keep your backyard safer. If you've ever tripped over a hose, you know what I mean. It can also become a liability for people who visit. Hopefully, you don't have the kind of family members and friends that you have to worry about liabilities but still it's something to think about. A hose laying around is a hazard.
- A hose left on a lawn can mess up your lawn growth. This is especially true if you leave all or part of your hose laying in the same spot for too long. You'll get grass that is not getting enough sun and this could leave an unsightly hose line right on your lawn.
- If you like to keep your yard looking organized, then certainly a garden hose reel is one easy way to do that. The look of a hose or hoses laying around can make your place look messy. A garden hose reel will help you keep your hose from causing an eyesore.
- The last and great benefit of a garden hose reel is the convenience that it is. If you are good about rolling up your hose each time you use it, then you know how long that can take wrapping it around your arm, or using whatever technique you've devised. The hose reel can make this chore much easier and more convenient.
Choosing a Garden Hose Reel
Now that I hopefully have convinced you of how valuable a garden hose reel can be, let's get to choosing one that's right for you. We are going to look at some aspects of the garden hose reel that will help you think about which one is right for your specific garden and lawn needs.
Length of Hose
We need to not put the cart before the horse when buying a garden hose reel. First let's think about how long of a hose you will be using. That length will determine what size of garden hose reel that you will need. You don't want to buy a hose reel that is too big because you'll be overspending. But even more important, is that you definitely don't want to buy a garden hose reel that is too small. Too small means that you'll be returning your garden hose reel and needing to buy another. Or you'll just tuck it away, and count it up as money lost. Let's not do that. Measure your hose, or if you are needing to buy a hose, measure how long you'll need it to be.
As with any product, the more durable it is, the longer it will last. The longer it will last, the less money you will spend in the long run. Sometimes, it pays to spend a little more on an initial investment and get something that is durable as opposed to not as durable. Garden hose reels are no exception. I've put together here, a list of 10 durable garden hose reels. Make sure to read each review, as some are more durable than others.
Portable vs. Nonportable
Think about your garden and lawn needs when deciding if you should purchase a portable or nonportable garden reel hose. Exactly how portable do you need your hose to be is a question to think about. Many people with large gardens or lawns will want a portable garden hose reel. Usually portable garden hose reels will have wheels on it so that you can easily move it around.
Retractable Garden Hose Reels
If you are going to need to use the whole length of your hose, then a retractable garden hose reel is what is going to get your job done the best. Retractable hose reels also will help save you some work by doing the work for you.
Retractable Garden Hose Reels work by automatically pulling the hose back onto the reel, and then rolling it up for you. They are easy to use. They are also quick to use. But keep in mind that they do require a bit of strength to pull it out to begin with. A drawback to retractable garden hose reels is that for long hoses, you may have a hard time pulling them back on the spool.
Hose Reel Accessories
As with most products, you can think about purchasing accessories that come with it. Hose reels are no different. Most garden hose reels come with fittings that attach the reel to the water outlet. But you may want to consider purchasing a nozzle for the end of the reel so that you can easily control the flow of the water.
Nozzles are great for conserving water. Instead of letting your water run as you go to your faucet to turn off your water, you can just turn the nozzle to stop the water, and then go and turn your faucet off. I know when I don't have a nozzle on, I'll find myself running and around our place to get to our frost free well hydrant. At our place, you have to leap over a gate or open it to get to the faucet. How much easier it is to have a nozzle that you can turn to shut off while you calmly walk over to turn off your water faucet.
Types of Reels
Hose Reel Cart
A hose reel cart is great for people that have a long hose. Sometimes a mounted hose reel just won't do the trick for the job. If you are a commercial gardener or just need a really long hose for your backyard, then you will want to invest in a hose reel cart. A hose reel cart can make a big watering job that much easier. The right equipment really makes a big difference.
Stationary Hose Reel
A Stationary Hose Reel is not going to move around, as the name suggests. Where you place it is where it will need to stay.
Wall Mounted Hose Reel
A wall mounted hose reel is just as the name suggests. It will mount onto a wall and stay put. Some people like a wall mounted hose because it can be put up and out of the way. It can give your places an neat appearance with everything looking organized.
There are two main types of garden hose reels, portable and non-portable.
Portable Garden Hose Reels
Portable garden hose reels can be moved from one area to another. They are often on a cart with wheels.
Non-Portable Garden Hose Reels
This type of garden hose stays stationary usually mounted on a wall.
Both the portable and non-portable garden hose reels will roll up and help you keep your hose organized and out of the way.
Best Garden Hose Reel
After weighing all of the options, we've chosen the Liberty Garden 704 Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel as our favorite garden hose reel.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Garden Hose Reel
Before buying a garden hose reel, you are going to want to think about a few things.
How long will you need your hose to extend to? You may want to get a tape measure out and measure the longest point that you'll want your hose to reach. This will be most important if you are choosing a non-portable (or stationary) garden reel hose.
Portable or Non-portable
Think about how big your watering job is going to be. Will you need to move your garden hose reel around the house or to another area, or should it stay stationary (non-portable).
Make sure that you are getting a garden hose reel that will last. Durability will save you money in the long run.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a Garden Hose Reel
Before buying a garden hose reel, it is helpful to ask yourself the following questions:
How much can I spend on this?
What are the watering jobs that this garden hose reel will need to help me accomplish?
What type of garden hose reel do I want and need?
Why a Garden Hose Reel Is a Valuable Garden Tool
A garden hose reel is valued by many people who use this tool. Here are three reasons:
A garden hose reel can make your job easier. Just roll it up and go on with your day.
It keeps your backyard safer by not having hoses laying around.
Anyone can use this. If you are getting older and finding that bending down to pick up hoses is a chore, a garden hose reel tool will help you do your gardening with ease.
- Hideaway hose reel
- Automatic hose reel and storage system; 225-foot hose...
- Base swivels for easy unwinding of hose
- Automatically tracks hose neatly onto reel
- 100' of 5/8" hose capacity
- Attractive design fully conceals hose and reel
- Easylink system ensures watertight connection between hose...
Here are a few common questions about garden hose reels.
So there you have our pick of the top 10 garden hose reels. Make sure to read each individual review to find the one that is right for you. Each garden hose reel is rated on a 1-5 star rating system. I hope this makes your job a lot easier when picking out the best garden hose reel for you.