Best Garden Hose Reel: Top 10 Reviewed and Our Pick
Best Garden Hose Reel Options
In this review, I have compared ten different garden hose reels in detail. These are our top ten best garden hose reel products. Make sure to click on the individual reviews to read the details of each garden hose reel.
In the chart below, you will find our top ten rated best garden hose reels. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on the "Read Review" link.
Liberty Garden Products 704 Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
Suncast PW 100 Powerwind Automatic Rewind Garden Hose Reel
4.5 out of 5
Reelcraft Hose Reel
4.5 out of 5
Prosperly Garden Water Hose Reel Cart
4.5 out of 5
Eley / Rapid Reel Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
ikris Retractable Garden Water Hose Reel
4 out of 5
Strongway Parallel or Perpendicular Garden Hose Reel
4.5 out of 5
Suncast Hosemobile Pro Hose Reel Cart
4 out of 5
SunCast Crate 125-Foot Water Powered Retractable Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
Liberty Garden Products Multi-Purpose Garden Hose Reel
5 out of 5
Top Ten Garden Hose Reels of 2018
- Liberty Garden Products 704 Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
- Suncast PW 100 Powerwind Automatic Rewind Garden Hose Reel
- Reelcraft Hose Reel
- Eley / Rapid Reel Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel
- Prosperly Garden Water Hose Reel Cart
- ikris Retractable Garden Water Hose Reel
- Strongway Parallel or Perpendicular Wall-Mount Garden Hose Reel
- Suncast Hosemobile Pro Hose Reel Cart
- SunCast Crate 125-Foot Water Powered Retractable Garden Hose Reel
- Liberty Garden Products Multi-Purpose Garden Hose Reel
Benefits of Using a Garden Hose Reel
If you have ever dragged a hose across your yard again and again, you know how time-consuming and annoying the process can be. And then there are the kinks in the hose that you have to deal with when you pull a hose around a corner or it gets caught on something. A garden hose reel can eliminate all of that stress.
- A garden hose reel can also add to the longevity of your hose. A reel can keep the hose stored and under less stress than if it sits out in the sun and weather in all seasons. By using the hose storage reel, you will avoid cracking, sun damage, kinks, and other issues that deteriorate your hose more quickly.
- A garden hose reel can also keep your backyard safer. If you have ever tripped over a hose, you know what I mean. It can also become a liability for people who visit. Hopefully, you don't have the kind of family members and friends that you have to worry about liabilities but it is still something to think about. A hose laying around is a hazard.
- A hose left on a lawn can hamper lawn growth. This is especially true if you leave all or part of your hose laying in the same spot for too long. You will end up with grass that is not getting enough sun and this could leave unsightly hose lines on your lawn.
- If you like to keep your yard looking organized, then certainly a garden hose reel is an easy way to do just that. The look of a hose or hoses laying around can make your yard look messy. A garden hose reel will help you keep your hose organized and out of the way.
- The last and great benefit of a garden hose reel is its convenience. Instead of taking much more time to roll a dirty hose over your arm, or whatever method you use to keep your keep your hose stored, a retractable hose guide can help you with the job much more quickly and conveniently.
Choosing a Garden Hose Reel
Now that I have hopefully convinced you of how valuable a garden hose reel can be for hose storage, let's choose one that is right for you. We are going to look at different aspects of a garden hose reel that will help you think about which one is right for your specific garden and lawn needs. Consider purchasing a garden hose reel that comes with a lifetime warranty.
Length of Hose
First, think about how long of a hose you will be using. The length of the hose will determine what size of garden hose reel you will need. You don't want to buy a hose reel that is too big because you will be overspending. But even more importantly, you definitely don't want to buy a garden hose reel that is too small in diameter for the length of the hose. Too small means that you will be returning your garden hose reel back to the store and replacing it with another. Or you will just tuck it away and count it as money lost. Let's not do that. Measure the length of your hose in feet, or if you need to buy a hose, measure how many feet long the hose needs to be.
As with any product, the more durable it is, the longer it will last. The longer it will last, the less money you will spend in the long run. Sometimes, it pays to spend a little more on an initial investment and get something that is durable as opposed to spending less and getting one that is not as durable. Garden hose reels are no exception. Some reels are made of heavy duty plastic and others are made of stainless steel complete with brass fittings or other plastic fittings. I have put together the following list of ten durable garden hose reels. Make sure to read each review because some are more heavy duty and durable than others.
Portable vs. Non-portable
Think about your garden and lawn needs when deciding if you should purchase a portable or non-portable garden reel hose. Many people with large gardens or lawns will want a portable garden hose reel. Usually, a portable garden hose reel will have wheels on it so that you can easily move it around your yard.
Retractable Garden Hose Reels
If you are going to need to use the whole length of your hose, then an automatic garden hose reel is what is going to get your job done the best. Retractable hose reels also will help save you some work by doing the work for you. If your hose is not that long, you may consider purchasing a hose reel that has a manual crank using a hose guide to wind the hose back onto the reel.
A retractable hose reel works by automatically pulling the hose back onto the reel using a hose guide to roll the hose back up for you. A retractable hose reel is quick and easy to use. But keep in mind that they do require a bit of strength to pull the hose out to begin with. A drawback to retractable garden hose reels is that for long hoses, they can kink or bend and manual supervision is necessary when it is time to wind the hose to put away. As a precaution, stand a few feet away from an automatic retractable garden hose so that the end of the hose nozzle does not hurt you as it is rewound onto the wheel guide. Reels that are battery powered or electrically operated come with a button that is pushed to automatically wind the hose onto the reel guide. Some products have a rechargeable battery option available. Most battery powered hose reels can be used the entire summer on one charge. Otherwise, the hose is manually wound using a crank or handle.
Hose Reel Accessories
As with any product, accessories can be purchased in addition to the hose reel. Hose reels are no different. Most garden hose reels come with fittings that attach the reel to the water outlet. You may also want to consider purchasing a nozzle for the end of the reel so that you can easily control the flow of the water. Nozzles are great for conserving water. Instead of letting your water run like your sink faucet where you have to manually turn off the water, you can just turn the nozzle to stop the water, and then go and turn your spigot off. A nozzle is much more convenient and easy because you can stop the flow of water right where you instead of dragging a squirting hose all over the yard.
Types of Reels
Hose Reel Cart
A hose reel cart is great for people who have a long hose. Sometimes a mounted hose reel just won't do the trick for the job if you have an especially large area you are watering. If you are a commercial gardener or just need a really long hose for your backyard, then you will want to invest in a hose reel cart. A hose reel cart can make a big watering job much easier because it can move around the yard to reach far-away areas. The right equipment can really make a big difference.
Stationary Hose Reel
A stationary hose reel does not move, as the name suggests. The hose reel is placed where you want it to stay.
Wall Mounted Hose Reel
A wall mounted hose reel is just as the name suggests. The reel is mounted to a wall where it stays permanently. Some people like a mounted hose reel because it keeps the hose up and out of the way and helps your yard look tidy and organized.
There are two main types of garden hose reels: portable and non-portable.
Portable Garden Hose Reels
Portable garden hose reels can be moved from one area to another. They are often on a cart with wheels.
Non-Portable Garden Hose Reels
This type of garden hose stays stationary usually mounted on a wall.
Both the portable and non-portable garden hose reels will roll up and help you keep your hose organized and out of the way.
Best Garden Hose Reel
After comparing all of the hose reel options, we have chosen the Liberty Garden 704 Decorative Cast Aluminum Wall Mount Garden Hose Reel as our favorite garden hose reel.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Garden Hose Reel
Before buying a garden hose reel, there are several items to consider.
How long does the length (in feet) of the hose need to be to reach all areas of your yard? Measure the area with a tape measure to find the longest point where your hose will need to reach. This will be most important if you are choosing a non-portable (or stationary) garden reel hose.
Portable or Non-portable
Think about the areas you will need to water. Will you need to move your garden hose reel around the house or to another area of your yard(portable), or will it stay stationary (non-portable).
Make sure that you get a garden hose reel that will last. Durability will save you money in the long run.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a Garden Hose Reel
Before buying a garden hose reel, it is helpful to ask yourself the following questions:
How much do I have to spend?
What are the watering jobs in the yard that this garden hose reel will need to help me accomplish?
What type of garden hose reel do I want and need?
Why a Garden Hose Reel Is a Valuable
A garden hose reel is valued by many people who use this tool. The following are three reasons why:
A garden hose reel can make your watering jobs easier. Just roll it up when you are finished and go on with your day.
It keeps your backyard safer by not having hoses laying around.
Anyone can use a hose reel. If you find that bending down to pick up hoses is hard on your back, a garden hose reel will help you manage a long hose much more easily.
- Durable Cntemporary Design Conceals Hose and Reel
- Smart Trak, Hose guide tracks hose neatly onto reel
- Comes fully assembled. 22 inches W x 21 inches D x 21.5...
- Bronze & Taupe, hose mobile hose reel cart
- 175' hose capacity
- Hose hooks hold end of leader hose or garden hose
- Automatic hose reel and storage system; 225-foot hose...
- Base swivels for easy unwinding of hose
- Automatically tracks hose neatly onto reel
Here are a few common questions about garden hose reels.
In this review, we have listed our top ten best garden hose reel products available for your hose storage needs. Make sure to read each individual review to find the product that is right for you. Each garden hose reel is rated on a 1- to 5-star rating system. Consider the size of your yard, your budget, your gardening or other needs, other accessories that can be purchased along with the garden hose reel, and whether a portable or non-portable reel would be more helpful and easy for you to use. I hope our review helps makes your job easier when picking out the best garden hose reel product available for you.