Snowflake Lights: Where to Find Them and How to Make Your Own
String lights and light displays are often used to decorate yards. There are so many options for using string lights to decorate your yard. One unique winter light display is snowflake lights. Snowflakes come in many forms and can be displayed in many ways. Although some people associate snowflake lights with Christmas, you can use snowflake lights any time during the winter. If you are interested in decorating your yard with snowflake lights, you have come to the right place. In this article, you'll learn how to make your own snowflake lights, where to buy them, and other information on these beautiful lights. Let's get started.
What Are Snowflake Lights?
Before we go any further, let's first take a look at what snowflake lights are. Snowflake lights are basically handmade or store-bought snowflakes that have lights on them. Snowflake lights come in many different forms. Some are large snowflakes that can measure 24 to 48 inches, while others are simple 3-inch snowflakes. They have lights on them so that they light up at night time. Snowflake lights can be made from almost anything, from wood to paper to glass. While some people assume that snowflake lights are only for Christmas time, the truth is that they can be used any time of the year. What's nice about snowflake lights is that they don't have any colors or features that make it look like Christmas lights. They can be used to brighten up your yard any time during the winter.
Different Snowflake Light Designs
There are many different snowflake light designs. Some snowflake lights are very large, measuring around 24 inches. Others are small string lights that can get hung on your roof or around windows. You can also get snowflake lights that come in the form of projector lights. Here is a guide to the different types of snowflake lights.
1. Large Snowflake Lights
Large snowflake lights often measure 2 feet or more from tip to tip. They can look nice hanging from a tree, window, roof, or even standing up on its own. To hang large snowflakes, tie or loop a rope or cord through the hanging ring or an open area of the frame. S hooks can also be used for hanging snowflakes. Nails or hooks can be used for mounting snowflakes to a wall or flat surface. A temporary adhesive clip or hook also works to hang it near a wall or window. If your snowflake is large, several adhesive hooks may be necessary to support its weight.
2. Snowflake String Lights
Snowflake lights can also come in the form of string lights. What's nice about snowflake string lights is that they are very easy to hang. You can hang them around your roof just like with Christmas lights, or you can hang them around windows. You can also hang them indoors around furniture and on walls.
3. Projector Snowflake Lights
Projector lights are usually used only around Christmas, but there is nothing wrong with using them throughout the winter. These lights are so easy to install. All you have to do is put the stake into the ground and plug in the projector light. Some projector lights will shine large snowflakes onto your home, while others shine small twinkling snowflakes. How far back you project light has a lot to do with how bright and big the snowflakes are. You have the option of making the snowflakes look like they are falling or making them be still.
Snowflake Light Decorating Ideas
There are so many ways you can decorate your home with snowflake lights. From hanging them on your roof to putting them near a window, the ideas for displaying snowflake lights are endless. Here are just a few ideas.
- Secure them to porch railings. If you happen to have porch railings, consider securing snowflake lights to them.
- Hang them from tree branches. Depending on what kind of snowflake lights you have, you should be able to hang them on tree branches.
- Hang snowflake lights on the roof. Just as you would hang Christmas lights, hang snowflake lights onto your roof.
- Decorate the inside of your home too. Shelves, mantels, and on the inside of windows are all great places to display snowflake lights.
- Hang snowflake lights onto fences. You can secure them to fences using zip-ties or wire.
- Use snowflake lights at events. You can use snowflake lights at winter weddings, parties, and any other events.
How to Make Wooden Snowflake Lights
- A string of LED Christmas lights (a 1oo-count)
- 3/8-inch drill bit
- Flat ruler
- 4 – 1/4-inch by 2-inch by 4-foot poplar boards
- 1 – 5/16-inch by 3-inch carriage bolt
- 1 – 5/16-inch nut
- 4 – 5/16-inch flat washers
- Wood glue
- White spray-paint
- Cut the poplar boards in half. Each piece should be two feet long.
- Find the exact center of one of the pieces by measuring down its length one foot. Drill a hole with your drill. Use this as a template and drill through each piece at the same point. This center hole is for the bolt that will secure all the pieces together.
- On each side of the center hole, drill five holes, evenly spaced apart. Drill through one piece of poplar at a time, using your first piece as a template to help match the spacing. Secure the two pieces together with a clamp, rubber band, or tape. Each light should fit tightly in each drilled hole, so make sure they fit properly before drilling the rest of the holes.
- Once you finish drilling, glue two pieces together at a 90- degree angle. Make sure it is a 90-degree angle by using a square. Line up the middle holes. Repeat these steps until all of your pieces have been paired up, leaving you with four paired-up pieces.
- Once your 90-degree pieces have dried, glue two pairs together in the center to form an asterisk. Repeat this with the other two pairs. You should have two snowflakes.
- Spray paint the wood with the white spray-paint.
- Run your carriage bolt through the center of one snowflake. Then, put three washers in the middle. Add your second snowflake and loosely add your bolt.
- Starting in the middle of the snowflake, begin running the lights up and down each arm of the snowflake. Use the end that has the outlet to go through the middle of the snowflake. Once you reach the last arm of your snowflake, you will attach your lights differently. Starting at the bottom, insert a light on one side, and then stretch the next light to the other snowflake. Do this all the way up, which will allow you to hang your snowflake by the string of lights.
How to Make Easy Three-Step Homemade Snowflake Lights
This next homemade lighten snowflake idea is so easy to do. Simply slide a store-bought paper bouquet holder over each bulb of string lights. Hang the "snowflakes" inside a doorway or a window so that they can be seen outside too. In addition to hanging them near a window, you can also use them to decorate shelves and entryways. Plug in the lights and enjoy the beauty of these homemade snowflake lights.
Where to Buy Snowflake Lights
While it can be fun to make your own snowflake lights, you can also buy them from certain stores. While there is a chance you'll find them at local stores, you are guaranteed to find them online. Amazon is a great place to shop for snowflake lights. You can also find snowflake lights at Home Depot, Wayfair, Action Lighting, and Christmas Lighting Etc. Snowflake lights are usually fairly cheap, ranging from $10 to $40. $40 snowflake lights are usually very big and are designed to be mounted onto the side of your house. The cheaper snowflake lights are for hanging on your roof and around windows. Be sure to check out your local stores as well, as you may be able to find snowflake lights at certain stores.
I hope this article has answered all your questions about snowflake lights. Snowflake lights come in many different shapes and sizes. Some lighted snowflakes are large and need to be mounted. Others are similar to string lights and can be hung on railings, roofs, windows, and even indoors. You can either make your own snowflake lights or purchase them online or at stores. Homemade snowflake lights are usually very easy to make. In this article, I went over a couple of ideas for making your own snowflake lights. In order to make snowflake lights, you will need some string lights. They can be simple white lights or they can be colored lights. The decision is up to you.
Snowflake lights can be bought on many online stores. You can also look at local stores for them. Snowflake lights are usually inexpensive. However, the price will depend on what kind of lights you get. There are many different types of snowflake lights, so make sure you buy the kind that will fit your needs. They also come in many different colors. Whatever type of snowflake lights you get, they will brighten up your yard. I hope this article has helped you understand more about snowflake lights. Happy shopping!