Decorating for fall is a fun task. There are so many fall decor ideas that you can use at your house. From fall wreaths to fall centerpieces, the ideas for decorating for autumn are endless. One creative way to decorate your home for the season is to use garlands. A fall garland is easy to make, and it can brighten your home in more ways than you could imagine. Whether you use it outside or inside, a fall garland improves the look of your home. If you are interested in making your own DIY fall garland, you have come to the right place. Today, I’ll go over ideas for making your own autumn garland this year. Let’s dive in!
Fall Leaf Garland
Image Source: Country Living
A fall leaf garland is probably the most popular fall garland, and for good reason. Leaves resemble fall because this is the time of year when leaves are falling off the trees. Leaves are so beautiful, which is all the more reason why you should make a fall leaf garland. There are many ways to make a fall leaf garland. One idea is to use colorful, artificial leaves. Colorful leaves will make your home look much more festive. However, it may also look nice to display a garland made of brown leaves. Brown leaves will not be as bright, but they still resemble fall. Another thought to consider is what type of leaves you’ll use. You could use the well-known maple tree leaves, or you could try magnolia leaves. Consider what you would like your fall garland to look like.
Once you have considered what you want your fall leaf garland to look like, it is time to get crafting. Follow the instructions below, using whatever type of leaves you’d like. The person who made this wreath used brown magnolia leaves.
- Artificial leaves
- Floral wire
- Heavy twine
- Measure the length of the space you plan to hang your garland. Also, decide how many loops you plan on using to hang the fall garland.
- Gather the leaves you plan on using for your fall garland. Plan on using 25 leaves for every foot of garland. The more leaves you use, the fuller your autumn garland will look.
- Flip the leaves over, exposing their lighter-colored backside. Pair them, front sides facing, and wrap floral wire around their stems to hold them together. Repeat, until you have multiple paired sets of leaves.
- Cut the twine to the length of your original measurement plus another foot. Tie on the first pair of leaves using a simple overhand knot. Add the other pairs of leaves by looping the twine under, over, and back around their stems to hold them in place, pushing them right up again the first pair. Repeat until the garland is complete, tying an overhead knot around the final pair. Hang your fall garland wherever you’d like it to be.
DIY Cupcake Liner Flower Garland
Image Source: The Sweetest Occasion
Are you wondering how to make the sweetest fall garland? Try using cupcake liners. Cupcake liners are cheap to buy, and they are so easy to work with. Make sure you choose white cupcake liners so that you can spray paint them the color of your choice. You also have the option of buying cupcake liners that are already colored, but it can be fun to spray paint the cupcake liners. Whatever you choose to do, this will definitely be a sweet fall garland that will make your home look extra festive
- Basic cupcake liners in three sizes (jumbo, standard and mini)
- Spray paint in your choice of color
- Tacky Glue or similar
- Twine or string
- Hole punch
- Lay your cupcake liners flat and give them a couple of light coats of spray paint. Let them dry completely.
- To assemble the flowers, put a dab of glue on the largest cupcake liner and layer the next largest size on top. Then add another dab of glue and repeat, layering the smaller cupcake liner on the top. This is what will make the cupcake liners look like flowers.
- While the glue is still wet, take your stack of liners and from the back, pinch together the centers of the liners and hold firmly for a few seconds. Then set them aside to allow the glue to dry.
- Once your flowers are all dry, use the hole punch to punch a hole into the back of the flower and thread through your twine or string. Add all of your cupcake liner flowers to the string, and then tie a knot at the end to prevent them from sliding off.
Glitter-Dipped Leaf Garland
Image Source: Two Delighted
This is another fall leaf garland idea, but this time a little glitter is sprinkled on. This DIY autumn garland is very easy to make. All you need is a few supplies. Here’s how to make it:
- Fake leaves
- Mini clothespins
- Paint the fake leaves with the color of your choice. Let them dry.
- Before you add glitter to the leaves, you’ll need to add glitter to the clothespins. You can either apply glue or a spray adhesive to the clothespins so that the glitter sticks on the clothespins.
- To make the leaves look like they were dipped in glitter, take glitter glue and brush it along the edges of the leaves. Then, shake some glitter onto the areas that you glued. Let it dry and then repeat on the other side of the leaves.
- Use the clothespins to clip the leaves onto the ribbon. Hang your leaf garland wherever you’d like it.
Bright Fall Felted Leaves
Image Source: A Beautiful Mess
Once again, this is a leaf garland. But this fall leaf garland is unique because it is made from felt. It is also very bright and colorful. Although it may seem difficult to make, it is actually very easy. It only requires three steps, and the result is simply adorable.
- Yarn or twine
- Begin cutting the felt into leaf shapes. You can cut them into different leaf shapes if desired.
- Stitch the leaves together with yarn or twine.
- Tie knots at the ends of the garland so that the leaves stay in place.
Paper Leaf Garland
Image Source: A Beautiful Mess
Looking for a simple garland to make? Try this easy paper leaf garland. All you need is paper and some string. You can either use colored paper, or you can have fun coloring the paper yourself with markers. Both ideas will work. Here is how to make this creative looking leaf garland:
- Colored paper
- Hole punch
- Leaf template (optional)
- Take a piece of paper and draw leaves on it, or use a leaf template. Cut the leaves out with scissors.
- Punch two holes into each leaf. Thread the string into each leaf, and then tie a knot at the end of the garland. To make it extra secure, tape some scotch tape on the back of each leaf. Hang the garland up and enjoy.
Pine Cone Fall Garland
Image Source: A Beautiful Mess
This next DIY fall garland is very beautiful and natural looking. It does not contain any bright colors, but it still looks beautiful. It is mostly made of pine cones, but there are a few beads in this fall garland as well.
- Rope or twine
- Wooden beads (stained or natural)
- Pine cones
- Hot glue gun
- Start by evenly spacing the wooden beads on the string or twine. Tie a knot on each side of the bead to keep it in place.
- After all the beads are in place, use a hot glue gun to secure the pine cones in place. You could also drill holes in the pine cones and thread the string through those holes, but gluing the pine cones is probably easier.
Autumn Garland with Lights
Image Source: Wall Flower Kitchen
If you are wanting a fall garland that will brighten up your home, consider making an autumn garland with lights. Although it may sound hard to make, it is actually very easy. It only takes two steps to make. The person who made this fall wreath used real fall leaves, but you have the option of using fake leaves if desired. Although it may seem like fake leaves will last longer, you can preserve real fall leaves so that they don’t dry up and become crumbled. There are a few different methods for doing this, but I’ll go over the easiest method.
- A collection of fall leaves
- Wax paper
- An iron
- Uhu glue
- String fairy lights
- As I have already mentioned, there are a few methods for preserving leaves. The easiest way is to put each leaf between two sheets of wax paper and iron them for a few seconds until the leaves have been sufficiently coated.
- Once the leaves have been prepared, use the Uhu glue (or some kind of strong adhesive) to attach the leaves in front of each light bulb. The string lights are what make it a lighted leaf garland.
There are so many fall home decor ideas, and fall garlands are one of them. A fall garland is so easy to make. In this article, I went over different ideas for making your own fall garland. You can stay simple and make a paper garland, or you can get a little more crafty and use pine cones. You can even make a fall garland with lights by gluing leaves onto string lights. Whatever you choose to make, I’m sure your fall garland will be a success. Have fun making it, and enjoy this wonderful season!
Image Source: HGTV
Leave a Reply