Best Camping Chair: Top 10 Picks to Make Your Camping Experience a Great One
Camp chairs are portable chairs that are built for comfort. This type of chair is the perfect chair to take camping, to picnics, to the beach or for lounging in your own backyard. I am going to share with you all that you need to know about camp chairs, including different types, features, and considerations when buying one.
The Best Camping Chair on the Market Today
In the chart below, you will find our top 10 rated camping chair options. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on "Read Review."
Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler
4.5 out of 5
Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair
4.4 out of 5
ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
4.6 out of 5
Timber Ridge Camping Chair
4.5 out of 5
Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair
4.5 out of 5
TravelChair Slacker Chair Folding Tripod Camp Stool
4.4 out of 5
Stylish Camping Full Back Folding Director's Chair
4.4 out of 5
KingCamp Folding Quad Chair
4.3 out of 5
Moon Lence Camping Chair
4.2 out of 5
ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
4.6 out of 5
Top Ten Rated Camping Chairs of 2018
- Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler
- Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair
- ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
- Timber Ridge Camping Chair
- Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair
- TravelChair Slacker Chair Folding Tripod Camp Stool
- Stylish Camping Full Back Folding Director's Chair
- KingCamp Folding Quad Chair
- Moon Lence Camping Chair
- ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
When the thought of a camping chair comes to mind, you may think of the traditional camping chair with armrests. This chair is the most common type of camping chair on the market and the type that most people use. But there are also many other types of camping chairs and many that perhaps you may have never heard of. I am going to review the many types of camping chairs, and hopefully, you will find one that you like the most. Keep in the mind that almost every type of camping chair includes a carry bag and is made of a steel frame.
Camping Chairs with Arms
This type of camping chair is probably the most popular kind. Some of these camping chairs come with cup holders as well. This type of camping chair is usually very cheap with a starting price starting at around $7.00. If you are on a tight budget, this type of outdoor camping chair is a good choice.
Camping Chairs without Arms
Although this is not as common as the camping chairs with arms, this type is also very economical. Unlike the traditional camping chair, this camping chair does not have any arms. Although this may make the camping chair not as heavy, it eliminates some of the comforts of resting your arms on a chair. Therefore, this type of outdoor folding chair may work best for those who won't be spending too much time sitting on the chair. If you will be spending a lot of your time sitting in the seat of the chair while camping, you may want to consider purchasing a chair with armrests.
This type of outdoor camping chair is relatively new but is now being enjoyed by many. This type of camping chair has a seat in the shape of a moon; hence, the name. A moon chair is very comfortable to sit in and comes in children's sizes too. Keep in mind that this type of camping chair will not have a cup holder or armrests. It also tends to be a little higher in price.
Lounger Camping Chairs
Lounger camping chairs have the same shape as any other lounge chair, but it is more lightweight. This type of camping chair is a good option for those who are wanting more comfort while camping. Keep in mind that this type isn't as lightweight as other camping chairs, and the price is also more expensive.
This type is a perfect option for those wanting portable and lightweight seating. Unlike the traditional camping chair, this type does not have a back. Instead, it is just a stool. Because it has no backing, it is very lightweight. However, if you are shopping for a comfortable camping chair, perhaps you would prefer a camping chair with a back.
Inflatable Camping Chair
If you want a comfortable camping chair, look no further than the inflatable camping chair. Because it is filled with air allows it to be very lightweight and not take up much space when it is deflated. You can get many different types of inflatable camping chairs, including chairs that sit down on the ground, double chairs, and chairs that look exactly like the traditional camping chair with arms. Because it is filled with air, you will need to be careful where you set it since you don't want it to pop. You will need to bring an air pump to inflate this type of camping chair. An inflatable camping chair is not the most durable of the types of chairs available.
Kids Camping Chair
Do you have a young child that will be camping with you? If so, bring along a kids camping chair. A kids camping chair is smaller in size and looks exactly like the traditional camping chair with arms. Not only can it be used for camping, but this chair can always be your child's special chair when he/she goes on picnics, to the beach, or even at home.
Bean Bag Camping Chair
The bean bag camping chair is not as common and is actually rather hard to find. Because the bean bag camping chair, also known as the bag chair, is so bulky, not many campers would choose to take this along with them.
Backpacking Camping Chair
The backpack camping chair is made for those who will be carrying their chair in their backpack. Because they will be carrying it, this type of outdoor folding chair is very lightweight and portable. Although this is created for backpackers, this type of camping chair can also be used for those who are wanting a lightweight, portable chair, even if you aren't backpacking.
A canopy chair is a camping chair with a canopy above it. The canopy adds shade and protects you from the heat and harmful rays of the sun. Some camping chairs have an umbrella instead of a canopy. A good brand to try is the Renetto canopy chair.
Advantages/ Reasons for Buying
There are many reasons why you may want to buy a camping chair. Here are some popular reasons:
- Comfort: Camp chairs are built for comfort.
- Portable: Because outdoor folding chairs are lightweight and durable, they are perfect for taking places.
- Affordability: Even though camp chairs do vary in price, overall, they are affordably priced compared to other types of furniture.
- Weatherproof: Most camp chairs are made out of heavy-duty steel and are able to withstand the elements.
Considerations When Buying
Before you buy an outdoor camping chair, you will first want to consider a few things. I have included a list of some considerations to ask yourself, which will hopefully help you decide which is the best camping chair to fit your lifestyle.
- Will you be camping for backpacking? If you will be camping and don't need to carry the camping chair too far, it doesn't matter what size chair you get. However, if you will be backpacking, you will want the lightest, most portable camping chair. The TravelChair Slacker Chair Folding Tripod Camp Stool is probably the best camping chair for backpackers because it is lightweight and folds up neatly for placing in a backpack.
- Does your back hurt? If you have a sore back, you will want to buy a camping chair that is good and comfortable for you to carry and sit in. The best camping chair for sore backs would be the lounger camping chair. Another option is to buy a camping chair with adequate padding.
- Which type will fit your needs best? I have already discussed all the different types of camping chairs, so now it is time for you to decide which type will work best for you. Do you need protection from the sun? A canopy camping chair is a good option. Do you want an extra comfortable camping chair? Perhaps the moon chair is what you're looking for. Take the time to consider which camping chair will work best for you and your camping needs.
- Do you have a young child? If you have a child that will be camping with you, take along a child-size camping chair. They are affordable and allow your child to have his/her very own seating suitable to his/her size.
Each camping chair is unique and will have different features. Although the best features are its light weight and portability, some camping chairs are going to have other features. In this section, I am going to go over some common features that most camping chairs have. Do note that not all camping chairs will have these features. If you happen to like one of the features, perhaps that is the type of camping chair you should buy.
A nice feature to camping chairs is how durable it is. A camping chair is usually made of strong, durable fabric that can be used over and over again without wearing out. After a while, you may notice the fabric beginning to fade, but the overall sturdiness of the chair should not change.
A nice feature that some portable camping chairs offer is a cup holder. This allows you to take your favorite drink while camping without worrying about it spilling and having a place to put it up off the ground.
Because you may be spending a lot of time in your camping chair, you will want to pick one that is the most comfortable for you. Fortunately, most camping chairs are comfortable to sit in. One of the most comfortable camping chairs to sit in is the moon chair and is well known for its comfort.
One major feature of most camping chairs is they are lightweight. Having a lightweight camping chair is important, especially if you will need to carry it to your campsite or if you will be backpacking.
Like I said, all camping chairs have their own unique features. Some camping chairs have a canopy on the top of them which provides shade on those hot, sunny days. Others have an umbrella that hooks onto the canopy. This type of camping chair tends to be a little more expensive. It may also be slightly more heavy with the added weight of an umbrella/canopy.
A camping chair with a footrest is considered the ultimate camping chair. That is because some people would rather lay their feet up on a footrest instead of putting their feet on the ground. Camping chairs with footrests are considered highly comfortable camping chairs, due to the fact that it is almost the sitting in a recliner-type chair.
A nice feature to many camping chairs is that they fold up for easy storage. This allows your champing chair to be more portable and to take up less room. One of the best folding camp chairs on the market is the Stylish Camping Full Back Folding Director's Chair. Another good folding chair to try is the ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair. I have included these two camping chairs in the top rated camping chairs that I will be reviewing. To read the camping chair reviews, scroll up and click on "Read Review".
The best camping chair should have good back support. Without proper back support, you may be left with a sore back. This is especially important if you have a bad back. The best camping chair for bad backs is the lounger camping chair, which is also called the lawn chair. Additionally, you may want to consider purchasing a camping chair with padding on the back.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick for the best camping chair is the Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler.
Recommended Best Sellers
- Camping chair combines a cozy design with a convenient...
- Built-in 4-can cooler pouch keeps cold drinks within reach
- Fully cushioned seat and back provide support and comfort
- Padded camping chair (XL) with fully cushioned seat and back...
- Built-in beverage-cooler pouch (hangs from armrest) for up...
- Integrated cup holder for holding an open beverage; storage...
- Portable folding chair ideal for camping and backyard...
- Extra-wide 21.3-inch seat provides plenty of space to lounge
- Nylon mesh fabric offers added ventilation. Comfortable 18.1...
There are so many unique and comfortable types of portable, outdoor camping chairs on the market today. You can choose from features that are important to you. I have shared with you many of these features, along with considerations when buying each kind of camping chair. I hope that this camping chair guide has helped you while you shop for your own camp chair.