Best Camping Chair: Top 10 Picks to Make Your Camping Experience a Great One
Camp chairs are portable chairs that are built for comfort. This type of chair is the perfect chair to take camping, to picnics, the beach or for lounging in your own backyard. I'm going to go over all that you need to know about camp chairs including different types, features and considerations when buying one.
The Best Camping Chair on the Market Today
In the chart below, you will find our top 10 rated camping chair options. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on "Read Review."
Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler
4.5 out of 5
Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair
4.4 out of 5
ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
4.6 out of 5
Timber Ridge Camping Chair
4.5 out of 5
Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair
4.5 out of 5
TravelChair Slacker Chair Folding Tripod Camp Stool
4.4 out of 5
Stylish Camping Full Back Folding Director's Chair
4.4 out of 5
KingCamp Folding Quad Chair
4.3 out of 5
Moon Lence Camping Chair
4.2 out of 5
ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
4.6 out of 5
Top Ten Rated Camping Chairs of 2018
- Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler
- Kijaro Dual Lock Portable Camping and Sports Chair
- ALPS Mountaineering Rendezvous Folding Camp Chair
- Timber Ridge Camping Chair
- Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair
- TravelChair Slacker Chair Folding Tripod Camp Stool
- Stylish Camping Full Back Folding Director's Chair
- KingCamp Folding Quad Chair
- Moon Lence Camping Chair
- ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair
When the thought of a camping chair comes to mind, you may think of the traditional camping chair with arm rests. That is the most common type of camping chair on the market, and the type that most people use. But there are also other types of camping chairs, and some you may have never heard of. I'm going to go over the many types of camping chairs, and hopefully you will find one that you like the most.
Camping Chairs With Arms
This type of camping chair is probably the most popular kind. Some of these camping chairs come with cup holders as well. This type of camping chair is usually very cheap, with the price starting around $7.00. If you are on a tight budget, this type is a good choice.
Camping Chairs Without Arms
Although this is not as common as the camping chairs with arms, this type is very cheap. Unlike the traditional camping chair, this camping chair does not have any arms. Although this may make the camping chair not as heavy, it does take out some of the comfort of resting your arms. Therefore, this type of camping chair may work best for those who won't be spending too much time sitting on the chair. If you will be spending a lot of your time on the camping chair while camping, you may want to get a chair with arm rests.
This type of camping chair is rather new, but it is being enjoyed by many. What it is, is a camping chair that has the seating in the shape of a moon, hence the name. It is very comfortable to sit in. This type of camping chair comes in kid sizes too. Do keep in mind that this type of camping chair will not have a cup holder, nor will it have arm rests. It also tends to be a little higher in price.
Lounger Camping Chairs
Lounger camping chairs have the same shape as any other lounger chair, but it is more lightweight. This type of camping chair is a good option for those who are wanting a little more comfort while camping. Keep in mind that this type isn't as lightweight as other camping chairs, and the price is also more expensive.
This type is a perfect option for those wanting portable and lightweight seating. Unlike the traditional camping chair, this type does not have a back. Instead, it is just a stool. Because it has no backing, it is very lightweight. However, if you are shopping for a comfortable camping chair, perhaps you would like a camping chair with a back.
Inflatable Camping Chair
If you are wanting a comfortable camping chair, look no further than the inflatable camping chair. Being filled with air allows it to be very lightweight, and not take up much space while the air is out. When you do fill it with air, it will be a very comfortable feeling. You can get many different types of inflatable camping chairs, including chairs that are down on the ground, double chairs, and chairs that look exactly like the traditional camping chair with arms. Because it is filled with air, you will need to be careful where you set it since you don't want it to pop. Also, you will need to bring something to fill it with air.
Kids Camping Chair
Do you have a young child that will be camping with you? If so, bring along a kids camping chair. A kids camping chair is smaller in size, and looks exactly like the traditional camping chair with arms. Not only can it be used for camping, but this chair can always be your child's special chair when he/she goes on picnics, to the beach, or even at home.
Bean Bag Camping Chair
The bean bag camping chair is not as common, and is actually rather hard to find. Because the bean bag camping chair, also called the bag chair, is so bulky, not many campers would take this along with them.
Backpacking Camping Chair
The backpack camping chair is made for those who will be carrying their chair in their backpack. Because they will be carrying it, this type of chair is very lightweight and portable. Although this is created for backpackers, this type of camping chair can also be used for those who are wanting a lightweight chair, even if you aren't backpacking.
A canopy chair is a camping chair with a canopy above it. The canopy adds shade, and protects you from the sun. Some camping chairs have an umbrella instead of a canopy. A good brand to try is the Renetto canopy chair.
Advantages/ Reasons For Buying
There are many reasons why you may want to buy a camping chair. Here are some popular reasons:
- Comfort - Camp chairs are built for comfort.
- Portable - The fact that camp chairs are lightweight and that they fold up, make them perfect for taking places.
- Affordability - Even though camp chairs do vary in price, overall they are affordable compared to other types of furniture.
- Weatherproof - Most camp chairs are made to be able to withstand the elements.
Considerations When Buying
Before you buy a camping chair, you will first want to consider a few things. I've included a list of some considerations to ask yourself, which will hopefully help you decide which is the best camping chair that will fit your lifestyle.
- Will you be camping for backpacking? If you will be camping, and don't need to carry the camping chair too far, it doesn't matter what size chair you get. But if you will be backpacking, you will want the lightest, most portable camping chair. The TravelChair Slacker Chair Folding Tripod Camp Stool is probably the best camping chair for backpackers, as it is lightweight and it folds.
- Does your back hurt? If you have a hurting back, you will want to buy a camping chair that is good for you. The best camping chair for bad backs would be the lounger camping chair. Another option is to buy a camping chair with padding.
- Which type will fit your needs best? I've already gone over all the different types of camping chairs, so now it is time for you to decide which type will work best for you. Do you need protection from the sun? A canopy camping chair is a good option. Do you want an extra comfortable camping chair? Perhaps the moon chair is what you're looking for. Take the time to consider which camping chair will work best for you.
- Do you have a young child? If you have a child that will be camping with you, take along a kids camping chair. They are affordable, and allow your child to have his/her very own seating.
Each camping chair is unique, and will have different features. Although the best features are its light weight and portability, some camping chairs are going to have other features. In this section, I'm going to go over some common features that most camping chairs have. Do note that not all camping chairs will have these features. If you happen to like one of the features, perhaps that is the type of camping chair you should buy.
A nice feature to camping chairs is its durability. The camping chair is usually made of strong fabric that can be used over and over again without wearing out. After a while, you may notice the fabric beginning to fade, but the sturdiness of it shouldn't change.
A nice feature to some camping chairs is a cup holder. This allows you to take your favorite drink while camping without worrying about it spilling.
Because you may be spending a lot of time in your camping chair, you will want to pick one with the most comfort. Fortunately, most camping chairs are comfortable to sit in. One of the most comfortable camping chair to sit in is the moon chair. It is well known for its comfort.
One major feature of most camping chairs is its light weight. Having a lightweight camping chair is important, especially if you will need to carry it to your camp site.
Like I said, all camping chairs have their own unique features. Some camping chairs have a canopy on the top of them which provides shade on those hot, sunny days. Others have a umbrella that hooks onto the canopy. This type of camping chair tends to be a little more expensive. It may also be slightly more heavy with the added weight of an umbrella/canopy.
A camping chair with a footrest is considered the ultimate camping chair. That is because some people would rather lay their feet up on a footrest instead of setting them on the ground. Camping chairs with footrests are also in the list of comfortable camping chairs, due to bringing comfort to your feet.
A nice feature to a lot of camping chairs is that they fold. This allows your champing chair to be more portable and take up less room. One of the best folding camp chairs on the market is the Stylish Camping Full Back Folding Director's Chair. Another good folding chair to try is the ALPS Mountaineering King Kong Chair. I've included these two camping chairs in the top rated camping chairs that I'll be reviewing. To read the camping chair reviews, scroll up and click on "Read Review".
The best camping chair should have good back support. Without proper back support, you may be left with a sore back. This is especially important if you have a bad back. The best camping chair for bad backs is the lounger camping chair, also called the lawn chair. Also, you may want to consider getting a camping chair with padding on the back.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick for the best camping chair is the Coleman Oversized Quad Chair with Cooler.
Recommended Best Sellers
- Camping chair combines a cozy design with a convenient...
- Built-in 4-can cooler pouch keeps cold drinks within reach
- Fully cushioned seat and back provide support and comfort
- Portable deck chair ideal for camping, picnics, and patio...
- Side table with integrated cup holder provides easy access...
- Offers a supremely comfortable seat with padded arms
- Portable folding armchair with easy pop-up assembly
- Durable steel frame supports weight up to 225 lbs.
- Tough 300D polyester fabric is water and stain resistant
There are so many unique and comfortable types of camping chairs on the market today. You can choose from features that are important to you. I've gone over many of those features, along with considerations when buying a camping chair. I hope that this camping chair guide has helped you while shopping for a camp chair.