Is Trumpet Vine Poisonous? Find Out the Facts Now.

Is Trumpet Vine Poisonous

If you’re considering planting trumpet vine in your garden, you may be wondering whether it’s safe to do so. After all, you want to ensure the health and safety of yourself, your family, and your pets. So, is trumpet vine poisonous?

Read on to discover the truth about the toxicity of trumpet vine, including which parts of the plant are poisonous and what precautions you can take to minimize the risks.

Key Takeaways

  • Trumpet vine contains poisonous parts that can cause symptoms such as nausea and skin irritation if ingested or touched.
  • Consider wearing gloves and long sleeves when handling trumpet vine, and keep children and pets away from the plant.
  • Despite its potential dangers, trumpet vine also has benefits, such as attracting wildlife and adding ornamental value to your garden.

What is Trumpet Vine?

If you’re a gardening enthusiast, you may have heard of trumpet vine (Campsis radicans), also known as trumpet creeper. This plant is a popular choice for adding color and texture to your outdoor space.

Trumpet vine is a vigorous climber that can grow up to 30 feet tall. It features bright orange or red flowers that bloom in the summer and attract hummingbirds and butterflies. The leaves are green and oval-shaped, with serrated edges, and can grow up to 15 inches long.

Although trumpet vine is a beautiful addition to your garden, it’s important to know about the potential dangers it may pose. Read on to learn more about the toxicity of this plant and how to enjoy it safely.

Toxicity of Trumpet Vine

While trumpet vine is a beautiful and popular plant, it’s important to be aware of the potential toxicity it can pose to humans and animals.

The sap of the trumpet vine, as well as the leaves and flowers, contains a compound called urushiol, which can cause skin irritation and allergic reactions in some people. If exposed to this toxin, you may experience symptoms such as redness, itching, and blisters.

Ingesting any part of the trumpet vine can also be dangerous, as it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal problems in both humans and animals. Additionally, the seeds of the plant can be toxic if ingested in large quantities.

If you suspect that you or your pet has been exposed to the trumpet vine or any of its parts, seek medical attention immediately.

Poisonous Parts of Trumpet Vine

The leaves, flowers, and sap of the trumpet vine are all considered toxic. Ingesting any part of the plant can be dangerous, and even touching the plant can cause skin irritation in some people.

Toxicity Symptoms

If you have come into contact with the trumpet vine and are experiencing symptoms such as redness, itching, or blisters, it’s important to wash the affected area with soap and water as soon as possible. In more severe cases, you may need to seek medical attention.

If you or your pet have ingested any part of the trumpet vine, watch for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. Seek medical attention immediately if you notice any of these symptoms.

Allergic Reactions

Some people may also experience allergic reactions to the trumpet vine, which can range from mild skin irritation to more severe symptoms such as difficulty breathing or anaphylaxis. If you have a known allergy to poison ivy or poison oak, you may also be allergic to urushiol and should avoid the trumpet vine.

If you suspect that you may be allergic to the trumpet vine, speak to your doctor or allergist for advice on how to avoid exposure to the plant.

Safety Precautions for Trumpet Vine

While trumpet vine can be a beautiful addition to your garden, it’s important to take precautions when handling and planting the plant due to its toxic properties.

When handling trumpet vine:

  • Wear gloves and long sleeves to minimize skin contact with the sap and leaves.
  • Avoid rubbing your eyes or mouth while working with the plant.
  • Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling the plant.

When planting trumpet vine:

  • Choose a location away from areas where children and pets play.
  • Plant trumpet vine in well-drained soil to minimize the risk of root rot.
  • Consider planting trumpet vine in a container to control its growth and prevent it from spreading uncontrollably.

Controlling Trumpet Vine Growth

If left unchecked, trumpet vine can become invasive and difficult to control. To prevent this from happening, consider the following:

  • Regularly prune trumpet vine to control its growth and shape.
  • Remove any new shoots that appear outside of where you want the vine to grow.
  • Consider using a physical barrier, such as a root barrier, to prevent trumpet vine from spreading.

By following these safety precautions and tips, you can safely enjoy the beauty of trumpet vine in your garden without putting yourself or your loved ones at risk.

Can Trumpet Vine Poisoning Affect Horses?

Trumpet vine and equine toxicity can pose serious risks to horses. Ingesting any part of the trumpet vine can result in poisoning, causing severe digestive upset, colic, and potential liver damage in horses. It’s crucial for horse owners to recognize the symptoms and take immediate veterinary action if trumpet vine poisoning is suspected. Ensuring a safe grazing environment is essential to protect horses from this harmful plant.

Benefits and Uses of Trumpet Vine

If you’re considering planting trumpet vine in your garden, you’ll be happy to know that this plant offers a variety of benefits. Here are some reasons why you should consider adding trumpet vine to your landscaping:

  • Attracts Wildlife: Trumpet vine produces vibrant, trumpet-shaped flowers that are irresistible to hummingbirds and butterflies. By adding trumpet vine to your garden, you can create a beautiful habitat for these delightful creatures.
  • Low Maintenance: Once established, trumpet vine is a hardy plant that requires minimal maintenance. It’s also drought-tolerant, making it a great choice for areas with limited water resources.
  • Natural Privacy Screen: Trumpet vine grows rapidly and can quickly cover unsightly walls and fences, creating a natural privacy screen.
  • Ornamental Value: With its showy flowers and lush foliage, trumpet vine is a beautiful addition to any garden. It’s a versatile plant that can be trained to climb structures or allowed to sprawl over the ground as a groundcover.

Whether you’re looking to attract wildlife to your garden, create a natural privacy screen, or simply add a beautiful and low-maintenance plant to your landscaping, trumpet vine is an excellent choice.


Now that you know more about trumpet vine, you can make an informed decision about whether to include it in your garden. While certain parts of the plant can be toxic, it’s important to remember that with proper handling and precautions, you can safely enjoy the beauty and benefits of trumpet vine.

Remember to always wear gloves and protective clothing when handling trumpet vine, especially when pruning. Keep an eye out for symptoms of toxicity, such as skin irritation or upset stomach, and seek medical attention if necessary.

By taking the necessary safety precautions, you can attract beautiful wildlife and add a striking ornamental element to your landscape with trumpet vine. Happy gardening!

Is Trumpet Vine Safe for Other Animals Besides Rabbits?

Yes, trumpet vine is safe for other animals besides rabbits. However, it’s important for bunny owners to be aware that the sap and leaves can cause skin irritation or a mild stomach upset if ingested. To ensure the safety of your pets, consider safety tips for bunny owners when planting trumpet vine near your home.


Q: Is trumpet vine poisonous?

A: Yes, certain parts of the trumpet vine are considered poisonous. It is important to be cautious when handling or consuming this plant.

Q: What parts of the trumpet vine are poisonous?

A: The sap, leaves, and flowers of the trumpet vine contain toxic substances, including glycosides and irritating resin. It is best to avoid direct contact with these parts of the plant.

Q: What are the symptoms of trumpet vine toxicity?

A: Symptoms of trumpet vine toxicity may include skin irritation, redness, blistering, itching, and in some cases, allergic reactions. It is advisable to seek medical attention if you experience any adverse reactions after contact with the plant.

Q: How can I safely handle trumpet vine?

A: When working with trumpet vine, it is recommended to wear gloves and protective clothing to minimize direct contact with the sap. Washing your hands thoroughly after handling the plant is also important to remove any potential toxins.

Q: Can I plant trumpet vine in my garden?

A: Yes, you can plant trumpet vine in your garden, but it is important to exercise caution. Choose a location away from areas frequented by children and pets, and be mindful of the potential invasiveness of the plant.

Q: How can I control the growth of trumpet vine?

A: To control the growth of trumpet vine, you can regularly prune and trim the plant to prevent it from spreading excessively. Additionally, you can use barriers or containers to confine its growth and prevent it from becoming invasive.

Q: Are there any benefits to having trumpet vine in my garden?

A: Yes, trumpet vine can have several benefits. It is known to attract hummingbirds and butterflies with its vibrant flowers, adding beauty and wildlife to your garden. Additionally, trumpet vine can be used as an ornamental plant in landscaping designs.

Related Posts