Best Gardening Books: Top 10 to Choose on Amazon Today
Let’s go over some of the best gardening books on the market. If you are interested in books on gardening, there are almost as many available as there are varieties of gardens. Gardening and how-to guides have been written for the novice to advanced gardeners, and on a variety of subjects such as garden design books, amazing landscape ideas, shrubs, perennials, raised beds and/or container gardening, herbs, trees, soil, flowers, plants, harvests, weeds, soil, and much more. Since I am a reading specialist and gardener, gardening is one topic that I am passionate about in so many ways. Reading is fun! And so is gardening! And now we can combine them both. So let’s get started and learn what to do to help with successful gardens and harvests.
The Best Gardening Books on the
In the chart below, you will find our top 10 rated gardening books. For a more in-depth review of each model, please click on "Read Review."
The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition
4.8 out of 5
All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition
4.6 out of 5
Floret Farm's Cut Flower Garden
4.7 out of 5
The Backyard Homestead
4.6 out of 5
Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
4.4 out of 5
Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
4.6 out of 5
Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, 2nd Edition
4.7 out of 5
Straw Bale Gardens Complete: Breakthrough Vegetable Gardening Method
4.7 out of 5
The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty
4.4 out of 5
The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener
4.7 out of 5
Top Ten Rated Gardening Books of 2018 and Different Types
There are many different and varied types of gardening books because there are an endless variety of and different types of gardens to grow. Flower gardens can be divided and written separately about annual gardens and perennial gardens. Many books have been written about each kind and each and every type of flower. Vegetable gardens top the list of what many people think of when they hear the word garden. Endless how-to guidebooks have been written about different types of vegetable gardens and ideas for organizing them. Many vegetables grow better when planted next to complimentary vegetables. Other plants grow better in raised-bed gardens or in small planter boxes or pots. There are small-scale gardens and large-scale gardens. There are flower gardens, herb gardens, vegetable gardens, or a combination of all different types of organic gardening. If you guessed that there are books written for the large variety and different types and ways of gardening, you are correct.
Listed below are the top ten best gardening books on Amazon to show you the diversity of what is available.
- The Vegetable Gardener's Bible, 2nd Edition
- All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition
- Floret Farm's Cut Flower Garden
- The Backyard Homestead: Produce All the Food You Need on Just a Quarter Acre!
- Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre
- Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening
- Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture, 2nd Edition
- Straw Bale Gardens Complete: Breakthrough Vegetable Gardening Method
- The Layered Garden: Design Lessons for Year-Round Beauty
- The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener
Advantages / Reasons for Buying
A gardening book can help you take the guesswork out of gardening. When you buy a gardening book, you are saving yourself (and your plants) the hassle of going through trial and error to see what works and what doesn't when gardening and growing gardens. I don't know about you, but I appreciate it when someone shares what they have found to be helpful and gives advice so that I don’t have to waste time and energy planting gardens that will not be successful. If you want a bounteous harvest of beautiful flowers, herbs, or vegetables, find a book that will be the perfect guide for you. Take advantage of expert gardeners or landscape designers who know how to help with gardens specific to your area. When you buy a gardening book, it is like being given a secret recipe that will take the guesswork out of gardening. A gardening book can tell you what works and what doesn't along with how to garden and additional helpful tips and ideas.
Considerations When Buying
When buying a gardening book you may want to take some things into consideration. The following are some considerations that are asked in the form of questions. I hope this will help you narrow down what type of gardening book or books you may want to purchase.
- What type of garden will I have? Will it be a vegetable garden or a flower garden? Or will it be a combination of both?
- How big do you want your garden to be? Have you considered the lot size of your property and the square footage of your potential garden? Do you want a small- or large-scale garden?
- What specific plants, flowers, herbs, or vegetables do you want in your garden? Are you a tomato and squash lover or would you rather just grow flowers? What do you like? Or do you want to put the biggest variety of plants, vegetables, herbs, and flowers that you can fit into your garden?
- Are you a beginner or expert gardener? Does your skill set fall somewhere in between novice and expert? If you have been gardening for many years, do you want to skip the beginner gardening books? Or maybe is now a great time for a refresher course on the basics?
- How much do you want to spend on gardening books?
- Is this book for yourself or is it a gift for someone else?
Features/Things You Could Learn
There are so many things to learn about gardening. Knowledge of gardening and plants is limitless in what you can learn. So instead of trying to cover too many facts about what you can learn from a gardening book, let’s go over what is considered to be several of the top items to learn about in a gardening book.
- Different types of plants to include in a garden
- How to care for garden plants
- Irrigation ideas and sprinkler types
- How to organize a garden
- Planting complimentary plants next to each other
- Types of fertilizers
- Rotation crops
- Bugs that are beneficial for your garden
- Common garden pests
- Using chickens and ducks to help your garden
- Types of compost
- How to keep deer out of your garden
- Rabbit control and how to keep them from eating your garden
- Garden fencing options
- Landscaping and landscape design ideas for your garden
- Container gardening
- Gardening tools
- Harvest times and tips
A garden harvest is going to heavily depend upon the quality and type of the soil. Not all plants will thrive in the same type of soil. However, most good soils have an adequate supply of potassium, nitrogen, phosphorus, and lime. You can find out how much of each that you have in your soil and what you need to do to add more. You also may want to test the pH level of your soil. For most plants, it is best to have soil that tests as close to neutral as possible.
Test Soil Kits
Kits that will allow you to test your own soil are available at most hardware, garden, and online plant stores. Directions should be outlined clearly so that even a novice gardener can easily follow them.
Professional Soil Testing
Many states have state-certified soil testing labs or university extension offices that will test your soil for a fee. Results are normally mailed within the week.
By having the correct tools, you will make your gardening and growing experience easier and more enjoyable for many years. Suggested below are several gardening tools that you might want to consider buying:
- Post Hole Digger
Our Top Pick
Our pick for the best potting soil is "The Vegetable Gardener's Bible," 2nd Edition.
Recommended Best Sellers
- Storey Publishing
- Edward C. Smith
- Publisher: Storey Publishing, LLC
- Kelly Orzel
- Publisher: Lyons Press
- Chronicle Books
- Erin Benzakein, Julie Chai
- Publisher: Chronicle Books
I have reviewed what types of gardening books are available on the market currently as well as some basic garden information. The great thing about gardening books is that if there is something that you want to know about gardening, growing plants, herbs, vegetables, and flowers, there is surely a book available that covers your desired topic. I hope that this has motivated you and been helpful so that you can pick out the most beneficial gardening book(s) for you and your gardening and planting projects and that you will have many years of successful harvests ahead!